Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Missionary

Last week I had the opportunity to go to California to visit Deidra and her family. This was a particularly big weekend for the Rader family as Deidra baptized her youngest and was sending her oldest out on a mission to serve in Buenos Aires. Two quite remarkable rites of passage. Cal's baptism went off without a hitch. His brother the now infamous missionary baptized him and his father confirmed him. Deidra and Jeff both spoke, Haley and Megan (along with some girls from YW) sang a beautiful arrangement of Beautiful Savior. Dad was a witness, mom led the singing and I served the refreshments. A mighty handy job for me and one that I enjoy. What could beat being around food? Cal requested snickerdoodles, brownies, rice crispy treats and chocolate chip cookies. Then of course Milk and water. Surprisingly enough the milk was the first thing gone.

The missionary "farewell" went well. Jordan did a great job speaking and was remarkably calm. Me on the other hand was a bit of a mess. How does a mother handle it if the aunt can't even keep it together? Deidra is the chorister and played the I'll sit on the stand the entire Sacrament meeting because if I sit where I see his face I'll cry card. Well she made it, and again as I stated before, sobbed. Two years is a long time. Now I know ever so slightly how Lori feels. I don't like this 2 year gig and so I've determined that Sam can't go. Especially after today when he told me I was his favorite girl in the whole wide universe. He will never marry because of that very reason. Dave said that was fine he didn't want him dating until he was 26 anyways, besides why date before then he would just be buying some other guys wife dinner. As horrible as that seems I'm going to have to agree. 10 years is too soon for that kid of mine to date. Especially with those lips of his.....But I digress....Jordan was ready to go, ready to be a missionary, ready to teach and preach and do as missionaries do. And so that's what he's doing. He has grown a foot or two and is in the MTC as we speak. I can't stand it. Here I am at Education Week hoping to see him. Stalking him rather. They're not nice at that MTC any more. The parents don't take their sons and daughters in, they just have to drop and dash. Perhaps it's better for the missionary but what about a mother?? It's heartless. But needless to say, Jordan was fine with it. In fact, he preferred it. We Love You Elder Rader! Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment