Tuesday, September 8, 2009

1st week of 1st grade

There's a song in the Veggie Tales movie of "Jonah" where all the little veggies are singing about the 1st grade.....and on and on through the other grades as well. It's a catchy, happy tune and one that against one's better wishes gets stuck in your head and try as you might...you just can't shake it. And so it is every time I think of Sam being in his first year, which is every day I take him to school so needless to say that song is in my head now going on two weeks!

This is not my first time sending my sweet boy off to school for an entire day. He did it last year and so I thought I would be "over" the tears of yet one more year of independence under his belt. I had been talking to Kolette telling her it will be fine and gosh after about the first semester it's quite nice to be able to get some things done without worrying whether the kids are entertained. Independence goes both ways I guess. However, as solid and as brave as I thought I was feeling, when the morning of Monday, August 31st came, I was a bit shaken. I was appointed to say the family morning prayer and I burst out in tears and had a difficult time finishing it. Poor Sam just loving his mom and giving ME the comforting words of "it'll be OK...I'll be fine mom...etc...etc" As I see it Sam is a little too comfortable with independence.

But the day came and went. As you can see from the picture above Sam's combing his own hair nowadays, he loves red and he now has big teeth.


Sam's requested breakfast was pancakes from the oven (Danish Pancakes) and we started out the school day lunch with Miso soup, veggie sticks, chocolate chip cookie, box juice drink and a love note which he claims he never reads. I don't care he's getting one even if it's on the bright pink sticky heart paper.

When he grows up he wants to be a professional snow skier. I told him he's going to have to get used to poles then which totally bummed him out. He is still never going to leave me and I'm still his number one girl in the whole universe. I know Nina was running a close second as she grows plums and that is pretty impressive and maybe in another year could pull his heart strings away from me. Fortunately for me now however, his heart belongs to momma.

All in all Sam loves school. He walked in and gave Nik Osborne a big hug and as he's his only friend right now they play every day. I like Nik, he's a great boy and so I have no problem with this. Sam's teachers are LeAnn Brown and Alexa Plunkett and he's in the Spruce class. Mercedes say's that's the smart class. I WANT to believe her but I wonder :-). We still give Maverick a ride every day except Wednesdays. And every day they play "action fingers". Just use your imagination on that one. I couldn't do it justice with a description.

I can't imagine my life without Sam. He is my world. I love the mornings with him. He slips quietly down the stairs, tries to scare me and laughs as he thinks he does. His hair is reminiscent of Albert Einstein's and as he hates jammies his cute little six pack body sports his transformer underwear. He'll curl up under a blanket right next to the fire place 1st thing and lie there until breakfast is served. It's peaceful and an incredibly loving time for us. After breakfast well that's another story---the rush begins..........

And so it seems it is with life.....it just rushes by. Because of my impatience I sometimes think I want it to rush so I see the man that Sam will be, hoping he'll be good and true and brave......but then I step back and remember I don't want to see it now I think I just want to be involved in the process of how he'll get to good and true and brave. That should hold me for awhile. I have a lot of learning to do yet of my own.









1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said, Lisa. I'm so glad you keep this blog. You have a wonderful way with words and you will be so glad you have all the sweet little details written down... Like the picture of Sam combing his hair and his big toothy smile. I just love it!!!

    ReplyDelete