Thursday, August 5, 2010

Rode aye oh

We had a great day despite the hail storm the previous day. We have the craziest weather here. It really does live by the old saying if you don't like the weather just wait 30 minutes. Yesterday we met with some architects. Yea--finally. We were going to shop around but were so impressed with these guys we decided to go ahead with them. Mitch Blake and Tom Ward. Mitch is Merissa's family friend and we were so happy to hear of her recommendation. They seem great and right now seems like a great time to build so we did it and we called and hired them today. They'll be down Tuesday to look at the landscape and yes folks it looks like we're finally on our way. We are hoping to break ground next summer but really who knows how long it will take. So many factors but weather is certainly one of the top concerns. I'm almost giddy I'm so excited. While Dave and I went on our walk today we got to talking about some of things we would like. His main concern is that we don't divorce over this. Valid--yes, I've heard of many of break up over building a home. I know I can be a pill but when it comes right down to it I'm really only "passionate" about a few things and will probably hold my ground. The other issues I can probably be talked right out of them so with hope we'll have only a few sleepless nights.

After meeting with the architects we went and slid down the Alpine Slide. Something we all love. Too bad it's so expensive, we could stay there all day. Sof and I kicked tail--girls win! I don't think Sam can reach all the way down to clear the brake or else he's a bit a chicken because we cruised, he only slightly cruised and Dave was the camera man so he couldn't cruise.

We then attended the JH Rodeo (held every Wednesday and Saturday nights) We were really thinking twice about going because Sofie had an episode. High fever and incredibly irritable but we decided to chance it and leave early if needed. Well we had a great time. Both Sam and Sofie are into "Herses" as Sofie calls them. It is so cute I can't stand it. I know we should correct her but I just can't yet. She wants to ride a "herse"--yikes! When she grows up she's going to feed "herses." I told her to talk to aunt Micah about that. Sam too thinks a lot about horses. He is really into Rudy right now. I don't know how aunt Micah thinks about that but he goes to the pasture almost daily for a visit. He either loves Rudy or it's yet another opportunity to ride the 4 wheeler.

Last night at the rodeo they have an opportunity for kids 12 and under to go out on the field and try to grab pink ribbons that have been attached to 3 calves. Those who are lucky enough to grab a ribbon win a prize. Well Sam was all over this. Sofie wasn't but that didn't really surprise us. Needless to say Sam didn't get a ribbon but he now wants to attend every rodeo from now until when we need to leave because he really thinks he can get one and he really wants that prize of a steak dinner--yeah right. He also thinks he can ride a bucking horse, no problem. Well, in fact, he reminds us, he did learn to ride at Sotir's last summer. He knows all about horses. It's great he loves the ranch and maybe even the simplicity of life that is here. I am hoping he realizes this is only a holiday lifestyle--please no cowboying all his life. All of the sudden George Strait's and Garth Brooks songs are playing in my head.
Daddy and his girl at the rodeo.
Well here we are with our summer family project. It is really coming along. Sam made the 2 stools for he and Sofie (above) He is very proud of them as are the rest of us. Sofie's is just her size and Sam's is 3 legged so it won't rock too much.
Here's Sofie on the top floor. It's just a loft area so only Lucy and Charlie will be able to stand but I think it will be great fun for the kids to sleep. Dave is really doing a great job. As of today he has the roof and sides fitted with the OSG(?) board. We ordered our store items and they'll be here Monday so we'll be able to open shop pretty soon :-). Sam has made a table and a bench for Dave and I to join them for tea sometime. Painting starts tomorrow. We're just having the kids prime the heck out of it so hopefully it will be somewhat spared from the elements here. After that Dave will put on the cedar siding. It's coming along! Love to be where Ron keeps some great tools! Projects get done.
Sam's making a table. His little ole body pushing down as hard as he can.

Pyro boy with some fireworks. He usually buys just some smoke bombs and such but this last time he went for some heav(ier) duty ones. Ones that would be quite impressive at night in the dark so we let him stay up--and dang that ends up being late. The fireworks show only added to the great love that already existed for sparkle, bang and fire. Thank goodness tomorrow is payday.
Sofie would only wear her hat for about 30 seconds so I "got" to wear it.


3 comments:

  1. Lisa, I am sick that our schedules don't match up. Zig has Aug 17-Sept 7th blocked off and I originally thought he would be taking off earlier in August. Huge disappointment as we would absolutely love to be headed out there. Let me know what I can help with for the shower.

    Exciting news about your house plans! And the playhouse is darling. I love seeing Sam with the power tools...so fun that he is making the furniture for the playhouse. What a great life. He's going to have some serious skills when he gets older!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WE NEED TO TALK!!! What is this about a house in Wyoming????? Is this your future home, or just a vacation home? Lisa, I need an update on your life, my friend!! And I need to hear all about your plans for the house.
    Looks like a super fun summer for all of you. I cannot wait to see this cute playhouse! How fun that the whole family is working on a project together. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad Mitch has worked out to be your architect. Can't wait to see what plans you have drawn up, and to come stay with you all the time when it's done! The playhouse looks great.

    ReplyDelete