Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Turks and Caicos Day 3

We've had such a great time here in the Turks. Sun burns and all. We took this huge floating bike out in the water and Dave and I got quite the workout trying to peddle against the current heading for shore. Sam steered and was quite the pro. Dave worked Saturday all day but finally got his project done. I think he was just telling me he had to work so he could sneak off to hear Conference. He assured me he wasn't and has actually stayed clear of his computer for the most part. We get the internet sporadically and I must say, that's where it's kind of a bonus being married to a computer nerd because he seems to be quite good at "hacking" on for us. Most the time it's just not that big of deal. It's kind of nice not having to worry about the 10 Stake Priest Laurel dance rapidly approaching. Or the regional boy scout dinner coming just as fast but thankfully a week later. We have been able to eat constantly, sleep sporadically and play non stop. It's almost impossible to get Sam in at night. We're outside at 9:30 a.m. and we don't return to our room until 5 at night. They have this "pirates cove" that has water slides and a lazy river and all the cotton candy a child or really even adult could want. It's a rather large resort consisting of a caribbean village, a french village and an italian village. The food has been impressive for having to feed thousands. Not great but good. It's nice to just go anywhere and just say your room number and voila--food/drink.

I also enjoy walking everywhere. It's so nice to walk at night after dinner. It seems to settle the food so nicely. Grouper (It's grouper...grouper) and red snapper are the freshest fish they have here. I've had grouper prepared 4 different ways and yet the best fish I had was the cod in the fish and chips. The first night I had the grouper it was pretty bad. I was thinking I would never have to have it again however the following night the server promised that it was the best item on the menu. She was right. It was delicious. 

Here is Dave and Sam on a post dinner walk on the beach. We can't touch the water and whoever did lost a point.  Sam won. Hard to believe I know, but when you make the rules up along the way the victory is certain to be yours. That's our boy!

Here is my beautiful boy with a swollen face. This is where I am convinced NEVER to buy a spray on sunblock. 50 proof, waterproof, long lasting--my eye. His little cheeks are burnt and his little eyes are puffed up big time. They don't seem to bother him just swollen. I went scuba diving today and didn't regulate my descent right so I screwed up my ears. I felt like I was under water all day and it hurt bad. I went to the nurse and got sudafed and motrin. She gave Sam some benadryl and zinc oxide. He's looking better today thank heavens. 


While we dive we send Sam and Eli to the kids camp. Eli won't go unless Sam goes with him so Sam can't go to his own age group camp. He's ok with it. The camp counselor (who Sam calls coach Matthew) takes him and shows Sam extra care and he seems to be enjoying himself. They take the kids to the pool so it can't be all that bad. 

After camp and diving (on this day) we went to play at the pool at the italian village. Sam hooked up with some sweet kids. They are obviously older but they took him under their wing and got him involved in their games. Here they are on their water mattress ship. Sam's the one with the sunglasses and spiderman rash guard. He was certainly in his element. It was fun to watch. I don't think he was even bratty. Just had fun.

We went to the beach as well (finally) and were so impressed with an enormous sand castle someone had left from the previous day that we were inspired. So we got to work. It ended up looking and actually being more of a Mayan temple grounds with a water system that kicked butt. That's what you get when you work with engineers I guess. Although Dave kept putting out the disclaimer that he's NOT a civil engineer. I imagine if we would have been their long enough the "temple" would have been lit up--thus our electrical engineer would have showed us what he's made of. But alas, 5 o'clock came and it was definitely shower time. For all parties.







No comments:

Post a Comment