Monday, March 16, 2009

Creativity?

As I take Sam to school we drive by the Hollywood Hills Elementary school's marquis. As all (school) marquis do they inform the passerby's of the upcoming events or sometimes just a congratulatory note to outstanding students. One week we drove by and we saw Sela Seraphin's name listed as one of the winners of a "Reflections" contest. It was so exciting to see her name in "lights". Sam was thrilled. He asked what she did and not being certain at the time I said she must have written a really wonderful paper. Well he came home shortly thereafter and showed me a paper he had written. I wish I could put the actual picture but I'll write verbatim his story. Picture this:  The paper is approximately 12 X 16 dotted lined with stamps of 14 bikes in succession going up a hill and subsequently flipping over and coming down--but still landing on the 2 wheel.. Not unlike the "bike or die" game on the IPhone. Here is his sentences: I Rode mI bIke I did a flip in the eR I did a flip ugen. How I love Phonics! He's learning and that is what is so amazing to me. How the brain develops. Sam has now finished all the "Bob" books and though not a graduate of Evelyn Woods by any means it's exciting to sit and hear him sound out and actually comprehend what he's reading. I got him a Lighting McQueen book to read the other day and he thought he'd died and gone to heaven. I wonder how sad he was when he actually read that "Lightening's" name was really McQueen rather than "the queen" 

To continue with our creative juices--mainly Dave's and Sam's--I thought I would show you our body art from yesterday. This is how the Sharps keep the Sabbath day holy. We draw on each other--I'm hoping that Carrie doesn't come home sometime and find Sam, Dave and me all dead on the floor from lead poisoning. At least we will die with sparkly ink. I can assure you Sam's dream death.

The eye and the mouth are on Sam's foot. Dave's doodling at Church. (he claims he can listen better while doodling. While I find that hard to believe I just heard that same philosophy on NPR---so it must be true!) Dave's artistry on my back at home. (Mike Wickousky from Monsters Inc.) Sam wanted dragons and lizards. So that's what he got. Aunt Cydney helped as well with the green lizard. I drew the black dragon on Dave. As you can see in my free time I'll be needing to sign up for art class. 









1 comment: