Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Orange, Green and Black

Black as in blackmail, black mood and the black bean cakes: So for tonight's dinner I decided to forgo the entire shrimp 'taco' meal and only make parts. I have to say my marinade for the shrimp was pretty good. A little lime juice, olive oil, garlic, honey and a small kick of red pepper and of course salt. Let the shrimp marinate for 1/2 hour and then roasted them at 500 degrees about 3 minutes. They would be better grilled but we're out of propane. I sound like Kolette!  Now for the black bean cakes.  Sam decided he didn't like them but finished it off in about 5 bites. I topped mine with the avocado creme which added just the right amount of something, something. As Bob Saad would say je ne sais quoi. I would have taken a picture but my camera is out of juice. I'm not sure they look all that tempting anyways but the taste...... I halved this recipe for Sam and I and got about 4, 3" diameter cakes.

Black Bean Cakes

2 tsp Olive Oil
1 C chopped Onion
3 Cloves garlic, minced
1 C chopped green pepper (I used red)
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp chili powder
2 - 15 ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained (or do dried and prepare accordingly)
1 egg beaten
1 C plain bread crumbs
1 C grated sweet potato

Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Saute onions and garlic 3 minutes; add bell pepper and continue cooking as additional 3 minutes, or until onions are tender. Stir in cumin and chili powder, set aside.

Next, add beans to a large bowl mash with a large fork or potato masher, leaving some of the beans whole. Stir in inion mixture, egg, bread crumbs and potato; season generously with salt and pepper. Shape mixture into equal size patties and place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.

Last bake in oven 7 minutes, or until crispy. Using a spatula, carefully turn cakes and continue cooking for an additional 3 minutes, or until second side is crispy. Serve with sour cream or avocado creme.

Avocado Creme

1 avocado diced
2 Tbs  fresh lime juice
1/4 C sour cream
1/4 tsp ground cu
min
1-3 Tbs water, (depending on consistency you want--I didn't use any)

Combine in a food processor--or blender to puree. Season with salt and
 pepper


I am not a happy dieter today. I have really watched my caloric intake and exercising just enough to where my hips don't hurt, but I see no results. Hence my black mood. I even bought a black sweater today which I intend to take back. It's really not that cute but I was hoping a purchase would lift my spirits. Or at least make me look thin. Neither worked.

Green--It's not easy being green as Kermit would say. With envy that is. The last 2 weeks I have gotten together with my friend Ashley at her home. She's quite easily my idol. Everything she does is beautiful, simple and wonderful. She's the mother that is quite frankly "mother earth".  She nourishes everything she touches. Right now she's living the dream. Even Dave is green with envy. Which is fine because it really brings out his hazel eyes. Ashley and Zig and their family of 3 (with one on the way) beautiful children live on a 5 acre piece of heaven. They have chickens, the biggest dog I have ever seen and a garden that is not unlike what we as creationist would think as Eden. Not only do they have veggies but yummy berries (all sorts) all organic. An enormous tree house that I'm quite sure will need to have it's own property tax attached and a lovely, lovely home. Dave and I would like this too but we have procrastinated so much that the housing market here is shot and we couldn't give this house away. Which may be good right now because I'm thinking Dave may be leaning toward Star Valley. Yes, you heard me right--otherwise known as frozen wasteland. County number 12--where snow doesn't melt until August and then starts up again mid Sept. There are no gardens there, there are no berries, forget about the chickens. Maybe we could start up a snow cone kiosk. I'm kidding (I hope!)

This is the amazing chicken coup. On the other side is where Sela (and Nina) gather the beautifully colored eggs. I just love to see the chickens roaming the yard without any interference from Kona (I wonder if Clifford (the big red dog) would have been a more fitting name? 

Orange: Thank goodness Sam is playing on the Red Sox t-ball team this year. We can possibly "lose" the orange socks. Sam LOVES these socks. He would wear them everyday if I would let him. Those and that Lightening McQueen sweatshirt grandma gave him. Thanks ever so much mom. Is this payback for all the times I embarrassed you with my fashion style? Below is a picture of the day I let Sam choose his own school clothes. Don't get me wrong all about free agency but when poor choices (like this) show up it's almost too unbearable for a mother. I would much prefer a daughter flaunting around in her Jasmine costume. The next day he chose Lighting McQueen with jersey material blue shorts that were too big so he belted them with his waffle belt and he wore his rain boots. Now mind you we just received 3 new inches of snow that very morning. You may be thinking this was surely Wacky Wednesday. I assure you it was no other day than just a typical Tuesday. I will however use this photo to blackmail him in the future. 

Orange Continued: I have to write and show you this yummy little snack I made last week. It's called Requeson. It's basically an orange flavored ricotta. It tastes yummy on rye crackers or bread  and topped with orange marmalade. 

Requeson -- adapted from WednesdayChef

1/2 gallon whole milk
1 C sour orange juice (1/2 C orange to 1/2 C grapefruit)
Grated peel from 1 regular orange
Salt to taste

Scald the milk in heavy pot over medium heat. While the milk is heating, lay cheesecloth over an empty pot for draining.

When the milk is about to boil, turn off the heat and add the orange juice and zest. Mix briefly. The milk will immediately start to curdle. Slowly pour the milk into the cheesecloth. Drain the requeson for about half and hour, or longer, depending on the desired consistency of the cheese.

Scoop the requeson into a container, season with salt to taste, let cool if not yet room temperature and refrigerate. 



1 comment:

  1. I am definitely putting the shrimp on the menu this week. I've never roasted shrimp but everything else turns out so great roasted so I can imagine how yummy these are! Thanks so much for posting these delicious recipes.

    My friend Shannon got this amazing facial a month ago and her skin is still glowing. Since I know the clothes fix won't work either for me right now, I'm thinking of going that route. Wanna come?! You look great though, but I know weight is such a personal thing and not being able to exercise the way you like is a huge downer.

    Three new houses came up for sale in our area this week...I scoped them out for you...I know I'm dreaming, but none were quite right. You can't move to Star Valley!

    Rollin's grandmother sent him two lightening mcqueen shirts for his birthday. To her credit, the other clothes were great, but of course he just tossed them to the side and you could tell the ones he really loved...vroom vroom! I told him "great, Babcia gave you JAMMIES to wear at NIGHT with lightening mcqueen!" We'll see if that works :)

    ReplyDelete